Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Pregnancy Update

Well, I'm way behind in my updates. Sorry to those of you who check regularily. Let me sum up the last month of activities. My teaching ended mid-May. The first week after school was out, I decided Cayden needed a big boy bedroom - no more yellow walls! He really enjoys his "new room" with red and blue walls (we have some pictures, those will come later). Lisa (my sister) and family came to visit over Memorial Weekend and we celebrated Cayden's Birthday with them (his birthday was the following week). After Lisa and family left, we started working on the babies room. I don't think we have any pictures of that yet, but we'll get some when we can. It's hard trying to fit three cribs in one room. Then we celebrated Cayden's Birthday June 2nd. I also started my last class of my Graduate program that day, and we had a check up at the doctor's for the babies. Everything was fine there!

Here's the real pregnancy update: On June 10th, we went in for another ultrasound (those pics are somewhere as well, but I don't have them on my computer). The babies looked great. Baby A (girl) was 1 pound 13 ounces. Baby B (boy) was 1 pound 10 ounces. And Baby C (girl) was 1 pound 12 ounces. They also did a cervical ultrasound to determine my cervical length. After the ultrasound tech was done, she said she needed to call my doctor to see if there was anything else he needed. I secretly though "Uh, oh" in my head. Apparently my cervix length is only 1.4 cm, and ideally it should be 3 cm or more. So, we were sent up to the doctor's office immediately after the ultrasound. From his office, I was sent to the hospital for further observation. (I have been in a horizontal position to not put pressure on my cervix). We were told yesterday at the hospital that the neonatologist that is in Minot is not comfortable taking care of all three babies if they were to be delivered now. So we needed to make a decision as to where we wanted to go for care that could handle all three. We were to pick from Fargo, ND or Minneapolis, MN. We decided Minneapolis for a couple of reasons: 1) Lisa lives there and 2). they have more resources than Fargo. So all day today they have been trying to locate an air ambulance that can get me from Minot to Minneapolis. Unfortunately, there have been some nasty thunderstorms between here and there, that no one was willing to fly yet. So, we hope tomorrow that I will be able to get to Minneapolis.

I really feel fine, no swelling, no pain anywhere, and apparently I'm having some contractions (can tell when I'm hooked up on a monitor), but I can't feel them. Cayden and Scott have been great through all of this. Scott has spent much of his time with me and doing all of my to-do lists (packing for the air ambulance trip and for the stay in Minneapolis). Cayden has spent most of his time with Grandma Connie and Grandpa Harley, and he's loving that too. Thank goodness for Grandma and Grandpa.

So, in a nut shell, I'm hopefully heading off to Minneapolis tomorrow, weather permitting. My current doctor said that he wants me to go there for 4 weeks. Then I should be able to come back to Minot and have the babies (that is if they cooperate and "bake" some more for those four weeks). Scott and Cayden will come down in Scott's car after I leave. They both plan on staying in Minneapolis with me the entire time.

If you want to email me or Scott, you can email me at my email If you want to email Scott, you can send it to me, and I will forward it on.

I will definitely keep the blog updated more often now, as I apparently have more time on my hands now, and I know many of you are interested in how we are doing.

I think that is it for now.