Wednesday, November 19, 2008


I thought this picture was kind of funny. We had just taken pictures of the three of them for their 3 month birthday, with a girl on each side of Bryce. When we picked up the girls, Bryce just looked around a little confused. It was as if he was saying "Where did everyone go?"

Update on Bryce

Some of you know about Bryce's heart and some do not. Well, here is the information, and the update...

Bryce was born with a heart murmur (found out heart murmurs are really quite common). It actually is two holes in his heart. One is called VSD and the other is A - - something or other (can't remember this one). Well, he had an echocardiogram (ultrasound of his heart) when he was just a day or two old. He had a follow up one done when he was 2 months old. After this appointment the ultrasound tech said that doctor would call me in a couple of weeks to discuss the results of the echocardiogram. The doctor ended up calling that afternoon, and the first words out of his mouth were "Your son is still at risk for heart failure." WHAT!! That was the first I had heard it put that way. He then wanted to see Bryce just to check him over. Bryce had some swelling around his eyes, which could be related to the heart condition(s). We were sent to have an X-ray of his chest, and it was found that he had "wet" lungs. Bryce was then placed on a diuretic to help with the swelling. We were also referred to a specialist that comes to Minot from University of Minnesota Children's hospital.

We saw the specialist the end of October. The wait for this appointment was a struggle for me, not knowing what was going on with Bryce. When we first met the specialist he made a comment to us that he was happy to see that Bryce was a little chunk with the disclaimer that he didn't mean to offend us (we are known to have babies with chubby little cheeks- look at some of the other posts). Apparently, when babies/people have heart problems, they have trouble putting on weight. The outcome of the appointment with the specialist was that things are okay for now, no need for heart surgery now, and we have a follow-up appointment in February (when the babies will be 6 months old).